It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• No Period In 1 Year

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
    leigh96
    (female)

leigh96 HB User
    No Period In 1 Year

I'm 17, and I got my period when I was about 13. It would come fairly regularly, but I never really tracked it to the day. About 2 years ago my periods became further apart, every two or so months, but I never really payed attention. I now havent had my period in over a year, and am beginning to get quite worried. I have been to a doctor (about 6months ago) and had blood and hormone tests, all of which came back fine. My doctor said to come back if I still hadn't had it in a year, which I plan to do as soon as I can get an appointment. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why it might be? I am a virgin, eat completely healthy, exercise every day, am at the middle of healthy weight range for my age/height, and have never been on any birth control. My doctor said he thought it unlikely to be cysts but I'm not ruling it out (just crossing my fingers that it's not). I haven't been too worried as its quite convenient with my very active lifestyle, but i realize I need to get it sorted out :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: No Period In 1 Year

A number of things come to mind. You said you exercise every day. Excessive exercise can cause amenorrhea (absence of menstruation). It seems this is mostly the case with girls/women who are underweight so this would not seem to be the most likely cause for you. Did the cessation of periods coincide with increased exercise?

Some endocrine/metabolic causes that come to mind are:

- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) - Some common traits are symptoms of excess testosterone such as excess body hair, prone to acne, oily skin and hair, ovarian cysts that have the appearance of a "string of beads" (these should be visible on an ultrasound). Being overweight or prone to weight gain is also common in women with PCOS. You don't need to have all these traits to have PCOS though. PCOS is a metabolic disorder of insulin resistance so it is not just a gynecologic problem; it is systemic.

- A thyroid disorder - Do you have a family history of thyroid problems? If so, then you are at increased risk of having one.

- A pituitary tumor - A blood test of prolactin can be drawn to check for this.

Hope you get answers soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
    amenorrhea, health, irregular, missed, period