It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• What Could Be Wrong?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
    busymom1688
    (female)

busymom1688 HB User
    Thumbs down What Could Be Wrong?

I know no one is a doctor here, but I am seeking advice until I can get into to see my obgyn.

I am 30 years old. My period ended 5 days ago and I am having horrible cramps and spotting from time to time. I am not pregnant. I have horrible periods every month which is the reason I am anemic. I can not take any type of birth control due to it causing me to bleeding without stopping. My last pap was about 4 months ago and everything was good... I seem to always spot the week I ovulate. My doctor said that some people do that, because the egg burst. I am waiting to see my obgyn to talk to her about having a partial hysterectomy (vaginal) if at all possible. I am done having children, and I am tired of feeling like I am bleeding to death each month.. I feel like that would just fix all this spotting and everything. But I would like to wait till summer so I can take off of work, and my son will be home from school. I really don't want to have surgery, but I do. Weird I know.

What could possibly be causing me to cramp and have spotting so soon after my period?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: What Could Be Wrong?

Hi there. Lots of things can cause this. You might be rupturing a cyst- which is painful, like the worst period cramps ever.....or it could be an egg, although having that happen regularly would be questionable- cysts are more likely. You also could have endometriosis, which can cause intense, heavy periods which linger.
    I had the last one and went with an ablation rather than a hysterectomy. An ablation like Novasure actually ablates the lining of the uterus; either considerably slowing down your periods or stopping them altogether for up to 5 years. Ive had it done 5 years ago and I am still not bleeding even a spot at this time. You still ovulate- it doesnt change your hormones, but you wont bleed, or you will only bleed slightly.
    This might be a good option for you because a hysterectomy might throw you into menopause and at your age, you dont need all the headaches which come with that. I was in my late 30s and still decided on the ablation, just to avoid menopausal symptoms. Ive never regretted it.
    There are other options, talk to your doctor and if you dont like those options, find a second opinion.
    MSNik

Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Of course a hysterectomy will stop the bleeding but the trade-offs may not be worth it. There are hormonal, anatomical, skeletal, and sexual after effects of hysterectomy even if you keep your ovaries since the uterus has life long functions. I had a hysterectomy and the problems are never-ending.

You said that birth control pills make the bleeding worse. Have you tried a number of formulations? Have you tried non-hormonal tranexamic acid (Lysteda)? Is an IUD an option?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

I used to suffer from very painful ovulation, also known as Mittlelschmerz. If you have your uterus removed you'll still ovulate so if you are suffering from this it will still happen.

I had a coil fitted, the one that has hormones and this reduced my monthly bleed and my ovulation pain.

My advice would be to explore other options, especially given your age.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
    busymom1688
    (female)

busymom1688 HB User
    Thanks for replying.

MSNik : I have actually thought that I might have endometriosis. I have a few family members (aunt and niece) that have this. I have never heard of the Novasure? I will talk to my obgyn about this option.

STLouisgal: I am sorry you've had so many problems with your hysterectomy. Everyone I talk to praises it and makes it sounds so easy... I have thought about a IUD but I have never had one. I have a titled uterus and was worried about it moving during intercourse resulting in a unwanted pregnancy..

Froodie, I guess I am going to have to let them do the exploratory surgery and go in and look around and see what is causing the problem so I can know. Whatever it is, I am currently not having it. It has went away, after I cramped and spotted for a few days... What is the name of the coil fitted you had done? I would like to research it.

Last edited by Mo-S4; 01-29-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

It was a Mirena Coil.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Thank you. Women's experiences post-hysterectomy seem to be dependent on a few key things mainly how extreme / debilitating and long-standing their issues were, how far out they are from surgery, and if their ovaries were removed or fail from the loss of blood flow. Many do not associate the long-term negative effects back to the hysterectomy. And in chatting with some friends and acquaintances, they initially said they didn't have any problems from their hysterectomy and then later told me otherwise. The issue of sex can an uncomfortable subject for many women and the same is true of bladder and bowel issues. The figure changes are usually fairly obvious.

Best of luck to you in getting "restorative" treatment.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi Busymom,

My symptoms have been different than yours, but I've been dealing with extremely heavy bleeding for the last 7 weeks. A couple days ago, I ended up having a Hysteroscopy and D & C. The hysteroscopy involved inserting a scope to take a look around and take some biopsies. The D & C has helped the bleeding...I'll have to give it time to see what goes on in the long run.

I had discussions on various treatment options. Birth Control pills weren't an option for me. I ended up having a Skyla IUD inserted during surgery. It is smaller in size and my Gynecologist thought it would be more comfortable for me. The only drawback is that it needs to be replaced after 3 years. I've never needed hormonal therapy like this before. I'm interested to see how I do in the coming months.

All a part of the process. Still have to wait for all of my test results now.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
    tiff-cher
    Veteran
    (female)

tiff-cher HB User

Hi...
    I had the same issue for many years and nobody knew why. I ended up having a partial hysterectomy in 2008 and it was the best decision I ever made!! I had a vaginal hyst and they ended up finding a benign tumor in my uterus. I was off of work for about 5 weeks or so and did great! Since I still have my ovaries I still get premenstrual things like breast pain.

Closed Thread