It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Large Ovarian Cyst - Very paranoid.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
    tmvp123
    (female)

tmvp123 HB User
    Unhappy Large Ovarian Cyst - Very paranoid.

Hi, I am a 21 year old female who has been on BCP for about 3 years now. Last year, I had a pelvic examination as part of procedure for receiving a year's supply of BCP. No mass was felt. However, this year, I went in for my yearly pelvic exam and the doctor felt a right adnexal mass. I was sent for a pelvic ultrasound and the results showed a 8cm x 6cm x 8cm septated right ovarian cyst. I am extremely paranoid because the cyst is quite large and has started to cause back pain and pelvic discomfort, along with frequent urination and nocturia. My menstrual cycles always have a lot of blood clots. I work in the medical field and almost everyone I've shared this with so far has brought up the idea of having laparotomy to remove the cyst. No results for the CA125 or consult with an gyn yet. Any thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to tmvp123:
    Froodie (02-08-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Large Ovarian Cyst - Very paranoid.

Wait and see what the gyno says. It may resolve on its own or it may need to be removed.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

There are two types of Granulosa Cell Tumours that can grow quite big. Mine was 9cm by 6cm when it was removed. They grow on your ovaries. In younger women they are sometimes Juvenile Granulosa Cell Tumours.

The important thing I've learned is that removing the tumour intact is essential and with large tumours this can't always be achieved unless open surgery is performed.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Please don't panic. It can make for hasty decisions. The good thing is that most ovarian cysts are benign (non-cancerous) in women who do not have a predisposition for ovarian cancer. Since the "reproductive" organs work as a system our whole lives, removal of even one organ can disrupt the whole system.

You may want to get a second or third opinion, and thoroughly discuss saving your vital female organs, as the decisions will affect the rest of your life.

I hope this helps in moving forward.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-08-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

I had a full hysterectomy, including removal of the cyst, which subsequently turned out to be cancer. Sometimes it's impossible to just remove the cyst as they should be intact in case it is cancer. If the cyst ruptures you can have cancer cells all through your abdomen. The hysterectomy I had saved my life and I am now completely well with no health issues from the surgery. Many women recover fully from hysterectomy without any problems.

In a young woman a conservative approach would be taken anyway, but do be guided by your gynaecologist. If there is any doubt that the cyst is cancer do ensure that your surgeon is an oncology/gynaecologist.

Last edited by Froodie; 02-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
    Froodie
    (female)

Granulosa Cell Tumours give a normal CA125 reading. They develop spontaneously and they are not carried genetically.

Last edited by Froodie; 02-08-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

A friend of mine and I both had the same type of benign complex ovarian cyst (a mucinous cystadenoma). Her CA125 was very high at over 1000. Mine was in the normal range. The CA125 can have both false negatives and false positives so is not a very good diagnostic test.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Like Froodie, I also had a "full" hysterectomy (uterus, ovaries, and tubes were removed) but since I did not have cancer, my treatment was overkill. My surgical recovery was a breeze but the hormonal losses became apparent very quickly while some of the other effects have been more gradual. I wish the best for you in getting this treated.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
    tmvp123
    (female)

tmvp123 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone! Helps me feel a little less worried hearing your experiences and thoughts on this matter. I should be receiving my CA125 results tomorrow and still awaiting my authorization for the gyn. Will I be sent for CT scans first? Then discussing surgery? I'm hoping that I can get the laporascopic surgery and not the laparotomy...but I hear that cysts of these proportions are difficult to extract through tiny incisions...

Last edited by tmvp123; 02-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to tmvp123:
    Froodie (02-09-2015)
    Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 AM   #10
    Froodie
    (female)

Yes and if they cannot absolutely rule out cancer, the last thing you want is for the cyst to rupture when they remove it. The size of your cyst is quite large for a laparoscopy, I would have thought. The CA125 test can be meaningless in terms of diagnosis. The type of tumour I had gave a normal reading but now I am tested for inhibins A and B.

I didn't have a CT scan before surgery but I did have one afterwards and then another six months later.

Good luck with everything.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had a CT scan before surgery but I think it was unnecessary because surgery was scheduled based on the transvaginal ultrasound (prior to the CT). So I was unnecessarily subjected to the radiation of the CT. I recently read that TV u/s is better for viewing ovarian cysts than CT and was surprised to read this. But each situation may be different too.

I had a vertical incision. My friend who had the same type and size of ovarian cyst had a horizontal incision ("bikini" cut). I wish mine had also been horizontal. My stomach would look at least a little better without the incision running from navel to pubic bone!

I have read of laparoscopic where they put the cyst in a bag and remove it that way. But they must have to rupture large cysts after bagging them for them to fit through the small incision. I would think this could be risky if there is even a remote possibility of cancer.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
    tmvp123
    (female)

tmvp123 HB User

So my CA-125 results came back normal. Will this increase my chances of having the cyst removed with laparoscopy?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #13
    Froodie
    (female)

My CA was normal but my cyst was cancer, that's the problem it's not a conclusive test for cancer.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmvp123 - How are you doing?

Closed Thread

Tags
    cystectomy, cysts, ovarian cancer, ovarian cyst, ovary