It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Red Rose on September 10, 2000 at 00:55:28:

In Reply to: HELP!!!! Rosilita or anyone......... posted by Kim on September 09, 2000 at 01:52:08:

: My mother has just learned within the past 10 days that she has stage lV ovarian cancer that has metastisized to her liver. We are devastated and on top of it all....she has no insurance coverage what-so-ever. She is 63 and not previously employed; my stepfather is 57 and still working with an average income. She qualifies for no social security as her lifetime employment total did not meet eligibility requirements therefore no Medicare coverage available. A hospital social worker told us that since their income is over $12,000 they cannot receive help through Medicaid. They do not own their own home so a second mortgage is out and they have no life insurance in which to borrow against (both suggestions I received from others via the net). Someone told me about a grant called the Hill-Burton but this appears to be limited to only care given in a very select few facilities. Please someone, Rosilita, I addressed you in the message heading because you had mentioned in an earlier post that you used to work in or with a law firm that dealt with these kinds of financial issues. Thanks in advance to anyone who can pass along some advice....we are desperate. Mom is so worried they will just leave her to die because of this and she doesn't need that added stress right now. But even though I haven't admitted this to her, I have to wonder if there isn't at least a half-truth to that.

Kim I don't know where you are located but one of the best cancer centers in the U.S. is in Texas.
MD Anderson Cancer Center or call 1-800=392-1611. I believe that they have some kind of financial help available for people who need it. On an average they have around 700 clinical studies going on at one time. Your mother may qualify for one of these. If you do not live near this center there are several ways that you can get there depending on your location etc. I will list some of the ones that I know of. Delta UWA skywish 1-800-892-2757 ext. 285 - people donate their miles for cancer patients. AirLife Line -1-800-446-1231 - these are people who donate their time and small air planes to help cancer patients go short distances. National Airplane Patient Airtransport helpline1-800-296-1217- National Patient Air transportation 1-800-296-1317. Mercy Medical Airlift 1-888-675-1405. The last one that is listed is the one that I used for my mom. Eventhough we live by a big university, they did not have the lastest in care which was hard to believe but it was true. I sent her to California for her treatment and it was very successful. Now the treatment is being done where I live 2 years later. They sent my mom out free of charge because she met the guidelines. They are very helpful people. My mom also did not have enough quarters of earnings to get Social Security but I did find out that their are special allowances for certain conditions such as cancer to get help with the medical care. When we first ask no one knew until we press them a little harder and they finally told us that she could qualify if her income met the guidelines.. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not to give up and to go to your local Human Services Dept. and keep asking questions . Make them dig alittle bit for the info its not something they know right off the top of their head. Other things I could recommend that your mom could take if you are interested in alternative medicine. I hope that you don't give up I did't and it was well worth it. National Cancer Institute 1-800-422-6237 University of Iowa Cancer Info- 1-800-237-1225

Red Rose

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!