It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Gary on February 19, 2000 at 19:28:57:

In Reply to: Re: Need help !!! posted by Robin on December 25, 1999 at 21:37:53:

: : Recently my 18 year old nephew contacted us asking for a place to stay until he could get a job and get a place to live. He was very premature and has cerebral palsy.Mostly affecting his right side. Due to divorce of his mother and father we have not had contact with this child since he was probably 6-7 years old. Since he has come to stay with us it has become very apparent that he is not able to gain employment due to his disability. His mother and stepfather have never initiated ANY help for this child. He ahs had to deal with all the social-emotional issues on his own. Now they expect him to be self supportive.When he talks of all the discrimnation and all the hurtful things he goes through just to try and live a normal life. It breaks my heart.........I really need help in finding organizations-support groups to help me help him to find a way to be a productive adult.
: : Ive contacted the traditional supports like S.S.I. , Texas Rehab. Comm. We do have some appointments set up for evaluations, but I just get the distinct feeling that its going to be a long wait. I have recently heard about group homes where M.H.M.R clients can live long enough to become adjusted to the outside demands of the world. But, The question is how to get him there without referal of a state school or other agency.
: : Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
: : Thank you and GOD BLESS
: : Kelly
: Did you ever think of contacting your local United cerebral Palsy they may have people that can help your nephew find a job. Another agency may be The Vocational Rehabilitation department. I know how frustrating it can be because I too have CP and I know how frustrating it can be to try and find. I'm in a wheelchair so it's even more challenging for me. Good Luck!

What part of Texas are you in??? There are a couple of other places you could look into for both employment and housing.

Have you tried: 1) ARC (Association of Retarded Citizens) and in San Antonio: The Unicorn Center at (210) 737-3355. They might be able to help you or at least stir you in another direction.

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!