It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by MC on October 11, 2000 at 22:30:03:

In Reply to: Re: financial help posted by C.M. Beahan on March 18, 2000 at 10:49:23:

I don't know where you live, but every state has a program set up to help people, regardless of their income, afford to help their special needs child. Most DHS offices will not offer this information; especially if there is a waiting list. For example, there is an eight year waiting list in OK; Iowa closed their waiver down 3 years ago, and only plan on opening up 32 spots in 2001 (I think theirs is called the Ill and Handicapp Waiver); South Carolina is looking at about 5 years of waiting (I think that one is called the Katie Beckett Waiver); New York even has one that has an enormous waiting list. The thing is, that you need to get your name on the list, NO MATTER HOW LONG IT IS, because when your time comes...your set. These waivers are set up, once again, with no income limit (you must attempt to get SSI first, and get a denial), in order to allow the children Medicaid (Title 19), and other benefits. Some states even pay for childcare, so parents can cultivate their marraige; some pay for homemaker services, so you can spend time on other things besides house cleaning (we all like that idea, huh?); and other states offer a program called HIPP, which is a Health Insurance Premium Payment program. If you get Medicaid, under some type of waiver or even if you are low-income, if you can prove that it is finanicially beneficial to your state, they will pay your insurance payment (for your entire family!!!) so it saves Medicaid money. The point is, people, please ask DHS. Make a pest of yourself. It's like that old addage..."You lose." Good luck!

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!