Discussions that mention detrol

General Health board

[QUOTE]At this point I would say a vascular surgeon might be more appropriate then a cardiologist since you have absolutely no complaints about your heart or it's rhythm.

A hematologist would be more focused on your blood chemistry which might not be a bad thing but he probably won't be able to give you much insight into the whole ED thing.

Ok. Would a nephrologist make sense, even if my kidney's have already been tested, like I think they have? Tomorrow or the next day, I'm going to try and get a list from my doctor of all the tests I've had, so I can share them with everyone.

[QUOTE]I was kicking around some ideas about possible mercury, lead or arsenic poisoning but you don't exhibit the classic symptoms of this type of problem. Still, what kind of water do you drink (bottled, tap, well, city?). What do you drink it from? Just as a lark you might want to test your cups, plates, etc. for lead content. This is probably a stretch but the test kits are cheap and you might be surprised by what you find.

I mostly drink water out of the refrigerator, which I think has a filter. I used to drink a lot of bottled water. Before that I think I just drank tap water. I drink it from regular glasses or out of plastic cups. I'll try testing my plates and cups, but I'm pretty sure that the plates I'm using now aren't the same ones I was using a couple years ago when I first began noticing problems. But thank you for even taking the time to kick around ideas. Everyone on here has been extraordinarily kind, I wish I could pay everyone back somehow.

What types of doctors have you seen so far? Your primary care physician, is he or she an internist or a GP? What part of the country are you in? Are you near a major metropolitan area?

I'm pretty sure my primary care physician is GP.

The first specialist I saw, I think, was a rheumatologist. This was right after I became very sick for the first time and I was still sort of putting all the pieces together. I did a really poor job of describing all of my history and problems. He said I probably just had a really bad virus and how sometimes a virus can last six months or something. Obviously, I've had problems much longer than six months, but it was my fault for not articulating everything clearly. I had just become sick and I was kind of stunned and I was just waking up to all the problems I had been ignoring for so long. If you think it would be worthwhile to see another one, let me know.

The first urologist I saw was the one who performed the test which showed I had a decreased blood flow to my penis. He sent me to another urologist. This ended up being one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a doctor. He saw me for about a minute and was completely rude. He had me come back again and I underwent -- I forget what it's called -- something "doppler," where he injected my penis with something to induce an erection and then look at my penis with an ultrasound or something, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure he actually administered the test. He didn't answer my questions, and he was rude the entire brief time I saw him.

I just recently saw a third urologist. But I didn't mention the erectile dysfunction, just the urinary problems, and I didn't mention how drinking a certain amount of fluid makes me feel bad either. I wasn't sure whether to tell him or not because I was worried that it would make me seem less credible. I also didn't mention this to the other two urologists either, but that was because I hadn't yet made the connection between drinking and feeling bad. In any case, when I mentioned the urinary problems to the previous two urologists, they didn't really say anything at all. I figured with the third urologist, I would just strictly mention the urinary problems and say nothing of the erectile problems because I had already tried that with the other urologists and it didn't lead anywhere. I thought that maybe just focusing on the urinary problems might lead somewhere. I had a cystoscopy performed and it turned out ok. I was supposed to see him again afterwards, but I haven't yet made an appointment. I was thinking of telling him about the other problems. After the cystoscopy, he gave me a medication called Detrol, which is prescribed for overactive bladder, and told me to see if it helped. It does help a little bit, but not significantly. I'm guessing, although I know I'm not a doctor, that my urinary difficulties are made worse by my muscle twitches but I don't think the twitches are the cause of them. Also, the muscle twitches started after I first had urinary difficulties. The little bit that the Detrol helps probably has to do with reducing the muscle twitches, because it's supposed to relax the bladder or something. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, I'm just speculating, so I'm probably wrong. Anyway, because of the Detrol, I figured I would try and drink more and see if the medication helped, but I still ended up feeling bad, getting a headache, etc.

I saw a neurologist. He performed a couple tests in the office, everything seemed fine. Surprisingly, he witnessed one of my muscle twitches, which isn't easy to do because they're hard to see and they don't last very long, at least in one spot. I had an MRI done and it came back fine.

I also saw a gastroenterologist about the heartburn.

[QUOTE]It would be good idea for you to make up a list of your symptoms with as short a description as possible to present to your doctors when you see them. Most are notorious for skimming things rather then reading them so if you have something typed up with bullets and short sentenced descriptions you stand a better chance of getting them to read most of the words. ;) This way they can go down the list and ask more detailed questions of you. Kind of like writing a resume.

I wish I could be of more help. Scruffy Guy makes some very valid points with taking charge of your health and realizing that the doctors are working for you so don't be shy to demand some satisfaction or at the very least more then just a shrug of the shoulders and a "that's just the way it is". No 21 year old should put up with that for an answer when you have your whole life ahead of you.

There is a commercial website, which I cannot post here, that allows you to answer medical questions and have them come up with a diagnosis. You might want to try something like that out to see what they may come up with. It might help point you in the right direction. Do a ****** search for medical self diagnosis.

I hope this helps. If there's anything else that you'd like ask please feel free and keep us posted.


I haven't done a search for medical self diagnosis, but I will. Thank you so much for your generosity and advice. I hope you keep checking back.
omg bro, I think I have the exact same problem as you.... I started noticing problems when I was 16 that my libido was never existent. Unfortunately, it got worse and worse. Now, I am 20 and have no libido- I'm impotent actually! :(

I'm to the point where viagra doesn't work.... Like you, I had some frequent urinary problems so I asked my doctor to prescribe me some detrol... I was still 16 at the time and after that, my potency seems to have went nothing but downhill ever since.....

It's hard for me to tell if the detrol actually did this to me or the problem would've occured naturally anyways....

I'm in the world of no answers and doctors aren't helping.... Having ed at 20 is unheard of.....