Discussions that mention keppra

Back Problems board

Had another post-op appointment today. Tomorrow will officially be 10 weeks post-op from decompression/lami with fusion of L5-S1. The doc asked me if I thought the surgery was worth it. Odd question since I literally couldn't walk into his office on the day of surgery and now I toodle all around the place.

I'm off all meds for back pain. He thought I was nuts and couldn't believe I wasn't taking anything at all. (I told him I was almost 10 weeks post-op, it was time to get on with it).

I'm still having trouble with those darn ol' zingers, and was given new medicine for that - since the Topamax made my insides burn up and I thought I was going to die. I am now suppose to take Keppra and Ultracet for those, but am relunctant to do so.

I now have a tens unit - again for the zingers. Hopefully it will work and I can bypass the meds all together.

Each week gets easier and better.
The strength and endurance still isn't there. The doctor said I wasn't being patient enough - that it could take 6 months to recover from surgery itself and up to a year before I feel like I could take on everything. He did say, however, that it's a good sign that I'm getting impatient and crabby with the whole mess though.

I'm still not back to work. Once the strength and endurance comes around a bit I can go back. It's hard to sit for long periods of time at a computer/desk.

The in-home physical therapy ended today. Now I will move to out-patient PT. The doctor didn't like the idea of water therapy. He said he wanted me working up a sweat. (sure...HE's not the one doing it). From that I got that maybe the water therapy was too low impact? I dunno. I liked the idea and might just putz around in the pool on my own.

So far, I'm glad I had the surgery. I feel better. I do still have some aches and pains here and there (mostly when I wake up in the morning) but I don't hurt anywhere near what I did 10 weeks ago.

What a slow process.
Hunni :bouncing:
I am so glad to see you both are doing so well. I think it is so important for people to see success stories so they can realize that there is a real chance for them to get better.

Hunni, I hope the Keppra helps with those darn zingers. I am still doing well on Neurontin although I am still a bit dopey. It is possible that I am a bit dopey even when I don't take it. Let me know how it works for you if you decide to take it.

Mary, was it you that was trying to figure out how to get home from the hospital? If so, I would like to hear how you managed. Keep up the walking. It is so cool to set a milestone like half a mile and reach it. It makes me want to cheer everytime I read something like that.