Discussions that mention lyrica

Back Problems board

Hi all,
Hope everyone is having a comfortable weekend so far.
Off the Cymbalta now for 2 days! A few strange little brain zaps and mild dizziness but nothing like the experience two weeks ago. So if this is as bad as it is going to get, I've finally made it over that hurdle!

I saw the surgeon this week (details on my other thread) and he started me on steroids for "inflammation"???? Just the Medrol dose pack. Felt great when on 7, 6 and 5 pills (pain at about a 3) but yesterday with 4 pills pain was about 4-5 and today on the 3 pill day I'm back to at least a 7. Up ALL night with severe leg cramps which I get when the nerve pain is bad! So.....my smart back friends what do you think that means that the steroids helped with the old and new nerve pain? Do you think I've reherniated? Scar tissue getting worse and compressing the nerve more? Should I insist on another MRI? If it doesn't show anything different I'll feel like a nut case, but something is going on!!!!

I'm so frustrated, I feel like I am my own doctor. I don't feel anyone is listening anymore. Do I need to go in and cry, fuss, beg? I just told the employee health nurse at work that I refuse to see the old PM again (most of you know that story!!). She has been very nice and agrees that things are really "hanging" right now. I really do not want to continue to try anti- depressant meds to help the nerve pain.....I'm really very nervous after my Cymbalta nightmare! I can't take Lyrica at all, Neurontin doesn't help very much....I would rather try other nerve meds but the neuro wants to try Nortriptyline first! I can't even make myself put the pill in my mouth! Should I just not take it and try to see a new PM first? I'm looking harder at the spinal cord stim, but that doesn't make me happy either. I feel so lost.....don't know where to turn next, and everything has to be approved by W/C. They have been very accomodating up to this point but I am afraid that they will soon get tired of dealing with me!

Sorry to rattle on my friends....any input?

CONGRATULATIONS deb!!!!!!!!!really,i KNOW what hell you have been going thru.i am SOOO happy you finally got that 'monkey"off your back.thrilled for you actually.i know it has not been easy.things will start to get better with time now that you have that crap out of your system.

one thing here,did they ever actually do that symp block alone and by itself witout another type of block also being done with it?you DO need that done by itself just to try and determine the basic pain generator here.medrol is really a wonder med but like with you,i only get relief while on the second and third day,once the dose drops down my pain goes back up again.my RSD knee does respond to medrol like that too.medrol is just a steroid that really helps to bring down inflammation,the fact that it worked just indicates some of your pain is inflammatory in nature,but really doesn't pin point anything really specific,ya know what i mean?you still really need to find out the source ofthe pain process.

one thing about even trying that stim is you really need to at the very least,first try theTENs just to see if your particular pain process even responds to stimulation.its just helpful to know that before even going with the trial stim.its just a pretty big step going with the implanted stim that really can have its own set of issues once it gets implanted and the trodes will not ever be removed.it will also prohibit you from ever being able to obtain MRI becasue of the trodes still implanted in your spinal column.they are just not MRI compatable.this was one of the biggest reasons i never really decided to go that route since i have many areas,including my brain,that just have to be monitored with MRI or MRA.medtronic,the manufacturer does not even recommend this but only as a last resort when other things have been tried and have failed,that one kind of also convinced me not to since at that point,i really hadn't even entered the world of PM yet.its just a pretty big decision to go with deb that you really do have to research before even attempting.

trying the nor would be a good idea but i can totally understand being a bit apprehensive given the cymbalta adventure from hell.but itis only one med,not two different ones like cymbalta was.its a bit easier to come off of.i cannot take lyrica either since i had the most horrid side effects from that particular med like nothing i had ever experienced before.i do think finding another PM and just getting a full eval and seeing what he or she would reccomend at this point would be a really great idea.you still,if you haven't yet,need that symp block doen just to see what you are really dealing with.if this is stemming from even partly a sympathetic source,just getting routine symp blocks can sometimes even get it to remit to a certain degree.it all depends.but you do need a new PM and full eval again just to see what you are really dealing with here.

once again deb,really thrilled you finally made it off that crap.keep us posted hon,marcia