Discussions that mention nasonex

General Health board

I'm really glad I came across this forum. After looking through a lot of the posts, I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a suggestion. I apologize in advance for what is likely to be a lengthy post. I need to give some background information before I can get to where I am now.

For a couple of years, I was quite sick. The first 9 months of 2004 were plain awful. I was getting sinus infection after sinus infection. A mild case of asthma (maybe a couple of attacks a year) had progressed to daily attacks. I had gained a good deal of weight. Problems with joints. Long and short of it is that we found out in an inadvertent way that there was a good deal of mold in our house. Spent a small fortune getting dry wall pulled out. Figuring out source of mold. Basic decontamination and also getting rid of carpeting. Work was completed by first week of December and I had been feeling REALLY well. I had been taking Nasonex, moved to Flovent (often a few times a day), antibiotics every couple months, daily allergy pills. Just plain suffering.

For five weeks I had been doing AMAZING. It was like I got my life back. I hadn't even realized until I was feeling better that I had become at least moderately depressed. (Although my allergist prescribed an anti-depressant because a month before the work was done because he 'felt a crash coming') No more meds and have had to use a fast acting inhaler ONCE.

I've been eating better - intentionally. Started to work out again too. Dropped around 10 lbs. Last Thursday after having a stir fry made at home with cooked shrimp.... maybe 10 minutes later I had an anaphalatic reaction. Started off with hives and I took an antihistamine. Throat started to swell moving from the bottom and upwards over a period of 30 minutes. As it moved up, the part below wouldn't be as bad. I am allergic to lobster and scallops. Even the smell of lobster can trigger a reaction. But I've never had this happen to me with shrimp. My husband questioned if it might not be sulfur dioxide (which is often used in frozen shrimp and I've been eating Sunmaid apricots daily which has sulfur dioxide).

Anyhow, I didn't end up going to the hospital. By the time I was ready to go, I felt better. Although my throat was still sore the next day.

That same night I felt a bit of nausea and dizziness. The nausea has pretty much faded. But the dizziness has been constant and I now have a headache that seems to come and go. I don't know if dizziness is the right word. It's a lightheadedness that almost like being at a seriouslyhigh altitude. (If that helps any) It's worse when I'm standing. I don't have difficulty walking. But even when laying down, I still feel this weird feeling.

Sunday I started feeling like I was excessively thirsty. So I drank a lot of water. Perhaps 3 litres over a 5 hour time period. It almost felt like the more I drank, the thirstier I became. As it got worse, the headache went from a mild pain to a stronger one. It seemed to be centered at first at the base of the skull, but now is throughout. (I can't pinpoint a specific place... although my neck has felt a bit sore as well)

The scale went up Monday 3 lbs.... I hadn't eaten enough the previous few days to account for this. The only thing I can think of is that I was retaining (still am) fluid.

Another issue.... I just finished my period on Sunday... for the first time in a couple years, I had no PMS before and barely felt it. I also started a few days earlier than normal. I chalked this up to the change in my environment. (Although I hadn't realized before that this might have been causing those problems.)

My husband had suggested the sulfur dioxide issue to me early yesterday and since then I haven't had any. Just in case that is what is causing this. But no change.

Another thing.... I normally have very low blood pressure. 90/58 or so is a normal reading for me. At my last physical in October, it was around 115/something. GP said it was still a good range for me. I'm wondering with the weight loss, if my blood pressure might not have just gone back lower to where it had been and THAT might be causing the lightheadedness.

I tried a bit of rehydration earlier in case I had thrown my electrolyte balance off somehow.... a 4:1 sugar:salt water solution with a banana thrown in. I had a few sips every 5 minutes and it took an hour to finish it. I felt a bit better after having it, but within an hour, the dizziness was back.

After feeling this awful for 5 days now, I know I need to see SOMEONE. Getting into my GP will be almost impossible. Normally it is 3 weeks to get an appointment. My allergist is in town one day a week and that happens to be tomorrow. I don't know if I might not be best going to the hospital or even if I should just wait this out.

I guess the problem is -- I just don't know what to do. What's wrong could be tied into (a) change in eating habits (b) the allergic reaction I had (c) dehydration (d) sinuses (I've had a lot of inner ear problems with blockages before, but I don't FEEL any problem with my ear to cause this weird feeling (e) anemia? (I used to get anemic when I was in college - 15 years ago) (f) low blood pressure or (g) something entirely different.

I called our health line and they said that if the headache came back (it was mild at the time) to go to the ER otherwise to seek medical attention within 24 hours if the symptoms don't diminish.

I'd PREFER to go to my allergist since he has my medical history, but like I said, this might not even be allergy related.

Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.