Discussions that mention proventil

Asthma board


Quote from dan7681:
I was just reading through the posts and keep seeing the name Advair pop up. Can anyone tell me about this medicine? Any info welcome.

Advair is an inhaled medication with two drugs in it - fluticasone propionate and salmeterol. Fluticasone's trade name is Flovent and it decreases inflammation in the bronchi. Salmeterol is a long-acting bronchodilator, basically the same as reliever meds (albuterol, Proventil, Ventolin) but takes a little longer to work and works longer. These two drugs in one diskus make it optimal for people with asthma or any other lung disease that causes inflammation who have to take more than one inhaler a day.

Advair comes in three strengths - 100/50, 250/50, and 500/50. The first number represents the amount of steroid in the diskus, and the second number - which remains the same - is the amount of salmeterol in it.

I think that's about it. :)