Discussions that mention vicodin

Pain Management board

Ten days later I went for the second shot. My parents wanted to speak with the PM doctor afterwards and discuss other options, and I wanted to talk to him about potentially prescribing me a new narcotic. When I woke up from the shot I had a nurse get him for me, and he brushed me off quickly telling me that my medication and pain relief was the shot and nothing else, and that they "don't prescribe narcotics." He also wouldn't give my parents the time of day and speak with them at all. Obviously, we were all very disturbed.

I went through the same hopeful process of waking up every morning following my shot, but I still found no relief. Another call was put into my surgeon, and I was able to make an appointment with him two weeks from that day. This meant two weeks of a lot of pain and nothing to help me with it. Tramadol was not cutting it anymore, I did not want to take the Darvocet, and Soma, which was the only thing helping me, had run out. My mom actually called my original orthopedist, who was as nice as can be, and he was able to call in two weeks worth of Soma and Vicodin for me. So I was set until I saw my doctor.

I went to see the doctor, and basically, he told me a third shot would be unproductive, and my choices were to go ahead with a discectomy, or wait it out and hope that maybe in three years I'd feel better. The choice was pretty much clear. This was the end of July, and we scheduled surgery for September 13th, rendering it impossible for me to get back to school. I was very sad, but knew it needed to be done. My doctor was great from that point on about prescribing me meds. He put me on Percocet (5/325) and Soma. After three weeks I was getting concerned about my Tylenol intake, so he happily wrote me a script for Oxycodone 5mg, just without the acetaminophen. When this stopped working, he recommended Dilaudid 2mg, which worked for about a week, and then become ineffective. I found myself getting progressively frustrated that every time I started a new medication, my tolerance would build up so incredibly quick. When I went to see him before surgery, he renewed my Dilaudid, and also gave me Vicodin just to alternate between the narcotics. He completely understood my tolerance issues.

I was almost looking forward to my surgery. I couldn't wait to start feeling better and getting back into my normal lifestyle. I was very hopeful and optimistic, and this kept me from becoming depressed at all.

My surgery went great, I wasn't nervous at all beforehand. Everyone involved was as nice as could be, and my doctor made me feel incredibly comfortable. It was really such an ideal situation for such a serious surgery (at least it was in my head).

The night in the hospital after my surgery was not so great however. I was relaxed and calm, just in a lot of pain. I bled a lot more than I should have, and no one was concerned, but my bandages were changed frequently. I was on a Dilaudid pump, and in retrospect, I think I should have requested Morphine. It did nothing but make me itchy, make it very hard to urinate, and make me overall out of it. I was in a lot of pain. I got no sleep that night, but my mom stuck it out with me and was so very supportive. For the past ten months, my parents have been so supportive and wonderful, and I don't know what I would do at this point without them being there for me.

All I wanted to do the following day was leave the hospital. The pump wasn't working anyway, so I had them take me off of it, and they gave me either Percocet or Vicodin, I don't remember which, but I told them that I was feeling better just so I could go home and get some rest. My doctor left me with scripts for Oxycodone 5mg, Vicodin 5/500, and Soma.

The next couple of weeks went well. I was so happy everything was over with, and I was really optimistic about getting better. A lot of my friends came home to visit me, my grandparents came to visit from Florida, and everyone was great. My pain did not get any better, but I think because I was so happy and optimistic, my overall well being improved, and in turn I felt a little better. I started physical therapy, and I was very into getting back into shape, because I hadn't exercised in almost seven months. Again, my doctor was great about continuing my medication, and he started me on Norco 7.5/325 and Elavil (50mg) for nighttime, and I continued with the Soma. Throughout anything, Soma has been the only medication that I feel has really helped me. It doesn't relieve my pain, but it loosens me up to the point that I'm not tense. If I'm not on Soma, I'm very tight and tense, and every move I make I anticipate pain. This is not good for the way I move, and in turn for my pain and stress. Soma enables me to move around better and relax my entire body, although it does not cut any of the pain.

About three weeks after surgery, I essentially plateaued. I wasn't feeling any better, and I began to get discouraged. My doctor told me that this was normal for some people and I just needed to be patient. He said I would start feeling better most likely within a week or two. I continued with physical therapy, and then one day the therapist came over to me and asked me how much pain I was in. Apparently it was very evident to him from the way I was moving that I was still in a tremendous amount of pain, and he told me to take it much easier than I had been. He told me if I wanted to come in, they would just give me heat, ice me, and massage me. It worked out, because I was going to Florida to visit my grandparents for a week, and he advised me to simply walk back and forth in the pool. I hoped that a week in the sun and in a different environment would maybe make me feel better. Although I had a great time, I was still in so much pain. As each day passed, I would become more and more discouraged and upset about the situation I was in. I didn't understand; I was under the impression that once the nerve in my back was relieved of the pressure the disc was putting on it, my nerve would begin to heal and I would feel better. I began to think that this wasn't the case, and that potentially I had something else going on.

From the end of September to the end of November, all I was taking was Soma and Norco 7.5/325. Although it's a weak narcotic, it did provide minimal relief for me, but it only lasted about thirty minutes. I didn't seem to build such a tolerance to it either, which was a good thing I supposed. I stopped taking the Elavil because it just wasn't working and there was no point in continuing with a medication like that. I went to see my doctor again, and he was concerned that I was still in so much pain. He ordered another MRI, with and without contrast. This time, the MRI showed that my L5-S1 disc was protruding but not compressing the nerve. There was also significant scar tissue. He recommended that I go back to the pain management center I had gotten my shots at, and try another epidural shot. He though that because the disc was no longer herniated, the anti-inflammatory might work on the scar tissue.

We didn't want the same PM doctor, so we were able to make an appointment with a new one. Although he seemed like he was on cocaine, and I only say this because he talked a mile a minute, he was really knowledgeable and I much preferred him to my last PM doctor. He wanted to set me up with another series of three shots, and "max me out" on different medications. So, I made appointments for three shots, three consecutive Fridays in a row. He said he didn't like Soma because it metabolized into Miltown, which I was a little upset about because it was the only medication that had been helping me, but I was very open to his new suggestions. He put me on 8mg of Dilaudid four times a day, 4mg of Zanaflex three times a day, 50mg of Lyrica three times a day, and 7.5mg of Mobic once a day. He felt that this regiment of medications would really provide relief with me in combination with the three epidurals.

I went for my first epidural at the very end of November, very excited about making some progress. I had been on the new medications for about ten days, and they weren't doing ANYTHING at all, but I was hoping that maybe they just take time to work, and that maybe he'd have more recommendations when I went for the shot. The epidural went flawlessly, but he told me then that because I had had two shots over the summer, I could not have the other two epidurals in the series of three until at least January. This was very discouraging, as I was hoping that the series of three would really work well. He also told me to keep taking the medications exactly as he prescribed, and when I saw him a month later we'd talk about something else.

Well, a month later is Monday. I saw my spinal surgeon this past Monday. The epidural shot did absolutely nothing, and again, I woke up every morning hoping I would feel some relief. My doctor was very sympathetic and concerned for me. He felt that at this point it could be several things:

1. I'm just healing incredibly slowly from surgery, and I could start to get better on my own.

2. A second epidural shot may work a lot better than the third, and this would be that the nerve is still very inflamed, most likely from the scar tissue.

3. I have temporary internal nerve damage. He didn't really explain specifics on this, but what he said was that the actual inside of the nerve was damaged because the disc was compressing it for so long.

4. And finally, he said that this internal nerve damage could be permanent. Granted, he said it was worst case scenario, but not something my parents or I wanted to hear.

The doctor said he was pretty confident that it was internal nerve damage, just because nothing I have done has helped me get better after surgery, and because I've been on Voltarin and Mobic, and had an intensive shot of cortizone, and that would've most likely helped the inflammation of the nerve go down. This was very upsetting news. Either way, his recommendation was to really find a way to control my pain. This is what brought me here, and brought me to the conclusion that I actually am dealing with chronic pain. The past week has taken a tremendous emotional toll on me, like I said earlier, and I find it really hard to relax myself at all. The pain in my leg is still always there, and with any movement it shoots down all the way into my toes. I'm really at a loss, as I said before.
This is very long, so I'm going to post it in segments. Sorry for the length and if I should’ve posted it elsewhere, but I posted it as such so it would read sequentially:

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has responded so promptly. I can't express to you how nice it is to have people who are not only here for me, but who can relate to my situation too.

I'm sorry I didn't go into specifics of my situation in my original post. I had just come out of my parent’s bedroom actually where we had a several hour long discussion about everything, and there were tears and arguing, etc. etc. So, I'll happily go into it now; I'm in a better frame of mind today, and my thoughts are not so all over the place. I'm sorry if I end up writing an entire saga, but it's nice to have everyone completely informed regarding what I've been through, what I've done medically, etc.

I live in New York, but I go to school in LA. Sometime in the middle of February last year, I woke up at school one morning (probably at 2 or 3 in the afternoon), and I went to go visit some friends on another floor. I went to the bathroom in their room, and as I turned to leave from washing my hands at the sink, I essentially collapsed onto the floor. Now, I'm a pretty big and bulky guy, and I have never lost strength in my legs to the point where they buckled and prevented me from standing). I spent the next two days in bed, because whenever I got up, even if it was just to go to the bathroom, I could not handle the shooting pain down my right leg. It was like nothing I had ever felt in my life. Finally, I was able to get out of bed and walk around slowly with a limp. I got over to the university's health center, which is renowned for not knowing what they're doing and misdiagnosing most students that come in. Anyway, without telling you what I've done on a day to day basis between now and then, the health center told me that I was having muscle spasms and most likely had sciatica due to a pinched nerve. I wasn't really sure what that meant, but I shrugged my shoulders and tried to learn how to walk with the shooting pain. They sent me away with 800mg of Advil (4x a day I believe) and a bunch of Flexeril. I took the medication and got no relief, but I had to continue with my studies and my life at school.

Two weeks later I flew home because I still was in the same amount of pain, and my parents wanted me to see my own doctors at home. I went to see my family doctor, who recommended that I go see an orthopedist, or maybe a chiropractor. My family happens to know a chiropractor in my neighborhood, so we made an appointment for the same day and went over there. Not such a good decision. He did electro-therapy, or whatever it's called, on my back, and began stretching me out in ways that were pretty painful. Before I left, this guy told me I needed to come back everyday, and he'd have me fixed in a week. I left very sore, and my mom and I looked at each other and both agreed never to go back. Good decision. I stayed at home and relaxed the rest of the week, icing my back, and switching over to Aleve, Still, I was in the same amount of pain.

I went back to school and tried to distract myself with my life there, continuing to take my NSAIDs and Flexeril as needed. I was still in a lot of pain, but I had become accustomed to it at that point. Two weeks later I came home for spring break, and I got in to see an orthopedist. He x-rayed me and told me that from my symptoms, I most likely had a disc problem. He wrote me prescriptions for Prednisone (which made me absolutely nuts; everyone in my family has really weird reactions to that particular drug), Skelaxin, physical therapy, and an MRI. I only had a few days at home, so the MRI was not even an option. I went back to school, switching back to naproxen because the prednisone was no good, and I was able to make an appointment with my school's physical therapy office, but the first appointment I was able to get was not until mid-April (this was already the end of March, and school ended the beginning of May). I continued with the Aleve, and didn't even bother with the Flexeril because it didn't do anything. All I was able to do was go on with normal day activities, and I figured if I pushed through the pain, perhaps I'd get stronger and feel better.

I started physical therapy, and I was extremely sore and back in a lot of pain after the first two sessions. I went into the health center again to see if they could give me anything else for the pain. Surprisingly, without even negotiating or asking, they gave me Vicodin (5/500) and Soma, which I'd never heard of before. The only other time in my life that I had taken a narcotic was when I was thirteen and had an awful inner ear infection, to the point where I could not fall asleep because I couldn't stay in one position for more than five minutes. I believe I was on Tylenol 3 then, and I just remember the two times I took it that it knocked me out. My parents told me to really try to hold off on using the Vicodin unless I really needed it, so I let it sit in my room for a week before I took it, and I took one Soma every night before I went to sleep. I continued with physical therapy when I could, but I had five finals and papers to write, and I could not prioritize anything regarding my back. One night, my shooting pain flared up and I decided to take the Vicodin with the Soma, and I got very buzzed, which I suppose distracted me enough to not think about the pain. I started taking two Vicodin and one Soma every night until I came home. I went to physical therapy in LA for a total of about seven times, and every time I left, I felt very sore.

So that's essentially my beginning story of how my back pain started. I'm sorry that went on so long, I just kept typing. It's very frustrating though because I can't exactly pinpoint what exactly hurt my back, and I probably will never be able to. Anyway, I'll try to make the rest of my story concise.

I came home and went back to the orthopedist, and explained that I was still in the same amount of pain. He urged me to go get an MRI, and he tried me on a five day steroid pack, I'm not exactly sure what it's called. It didn't make me crazy like the Prednisone, but it didn't do anything. He also refilled the Soma for me, but I had no painkiller.

I went and got a standup MRI, which was not a smart idea in retrospect. The report came back and said that I had spinal stenosis, bulging discs (not sure exactly which ones, but the three above L5-S1, and a herniation and nerve compression at L5-S1. I went back to the doctor, and he told me to do physical therapy again. Sometime in between, I put a call into the doctor and he prescribed me Tramadol, which in combination with the Soma made me very euphoric, but really provided no relief. I continued physical therapy for about a month, and again felt like I was in pain every time I left, and every time I came back I told them that I felt like it was hurting me.

I was able to get into see this renowned spinal surgeon on Long Island. Many, many people recommended him and said he would definitely fix me. I went to go see him and loved him right away. He looked at the report and dismissed most everything on it, and told me what I had to worry about was the spinal stenosis and L5-S1 herniation with nerve compression. He told me that's what was putting me in so much pain. He also let me know in looking at the films that it looked like I had degenerative disc disease, which would most likely be something I'd have to deal with forever. He had me stop physical therapy right away, and subsequently, the physical therapist told me that I should stop and I was probably a good candidate for epidural shots. That was a little discouraging to hear from a physical therapist. But anyway, he told me not to worry about surgery or anything else, and he had me go into a pain management office to go get three epidural shots. He was very open to prescribing me medications, and when I told him the Vicodin didn't really relieve much pain, he gave me Darvocet, and again continued with the Soma. He also gave me Voltarin, just as a supplement to the shots.

At this point it was the end of June, and I was very hopeful about the shots. I took the Darvocet a few times and really did not like it at all. It buzzed me, but also made me feel out of it and very hazy, if that makes sense at all. So I stopped the Darvocet and went back on Tramadol, which wasn't doing much, but I could function better on that compared to the Darvocet. I went to meet the PM doctor, who came off very arrogant to me. He told me that, "For sure, three days after my first shot I'd feel 80% better." My mom was very pleased with him, and I hoped to god that he was right. At that point, we didn't even discuss medications.

A week later I went for the first shot, which they put me out for (I think it was twilight). I was very apprehensive about the anesthetic, just because I hadn't had any kind of medical procedure since I had my tonsils out when I was three. Everything went fine though, and I left feeling kind of sore, but very optimistic and happy that I was potentially on the right path to recovery. The next five or six days I woke up every morning thinking that this would be the day I feel better. Before I got out of bed, I'd straighten out my leg and slowly lift it, hoping that there would be some dissipation of pain (this is how I typical determine my pain level). Obviously, this was a huge let down. I felt no relief at all. But, I was still not discouraged, and hoped that a second shot would do the trick. I was still in so much pain though, and it was seemingly increasing. I called my new doctor (the wonderful spinal surgeon) to try to get something stronger to relieve my pain, and after having much trouble getting in touch with him, he told us that although he'd love to help me, I was under the care of the PM doctor currently, and it would be unprofessional for him to give me anything.
Rather than boar all you with my life history I’ll just give a short detail.

I’m 53, had 2 operations/ surgeries on shoulders no help. Doctors who I been going to for the past 10 years say I have advanced arthritis. I say they are full of shit!
I was not that bad up to 2004, 1-10 most days maybe 2-3. On St Patties day 2004 my wonderful brother started a fight with me, I turned my back on him as he jumped on me putting me in a head-lock falling with all his weight (around 300 all mussels) with me on the bottom. Well anyway from that day to present I went from maybe 5 to 15 mg of some type of Oxycodone to today taking 160 a day. To put it simple, I feed-up with doctors, pills everything. I’m now at the point that I can’t work (install security systems) can’t play, feeling so depress/worthless/upset at the world in so much pain all I want to do is sleep and try to forget about my bills! I feel soon I’m going to lose my house/wife/kid/life and I don’t even care! I go to at least 4 doctors (VA and private) a mo, told them about the pain and depression, all they give me is more pain meds.
Looking for advice (New here today’s my first day! On a few things or tell me where to look would be appreciated.

1: Would love to cut back on pain meds? (How to cut back and still relive the pain?)
2: Explain to the stupid doctors, why I’m so depressed and angry at everybody and everything?
3: Taking my brother to court over the assault. (To which some people don’t understand that he ruined my life!)
(And because of this none of my other 2 sisters & 2 brothers bothered to see or help our father the last 4 years of his life! Left up to my family to do it all, nursing home, Hospital, funeral.)
(He passed away Feb. 2008 (92) with none of them bothering to help take care of him or take the time to even go to his funeral.)

Also I’m so lucky that about every 4 years I also suffer from Cluster Headaches. Yes Cluster Headaches the only thing that works for me is Imitrex Injection’s for that pain.


Morphine Don’t work la la land
Oxycontin Va won’t give me it says it’s the same as Oxycodone (What’s the difference?)
(Had to get on my knees and beg for this from the VA cutting it out because it cost to much!)
Methadone VA says its cheaper tried to get me on it I refused!
Oxycodone SA works, quick release makes me itch
Percocet had a few to much $$ for the real thing!
Duragesic is this Hydromophone?
Tylenol its been a long time
Vicodin when I got 5 mg local long time ago
Fentanyl Falls off when I swet, took with Oxy never seen it help
Hydrocodone wife had this never seen any advantage using it?

Yes been there done it all when will it end?:confused: