Discussions that mention vicodin

Pain Management board

Hello everyone, I am currently on percocet recovering from shoulder surgery. Here is my dilemma, I am still in alot of pain from the surgery, I was alittle worried & still am, after seeing the surgeon for my first follow up he explained due to the amount of bone removel & how the shoudler was before the surgery this pain level can be anticiapated, even up to 4 mnths after surgery. To throw a wrench in he believes that I have a problem in the rib cage, that there may be ribs that have shifted. I made an appointment with the specialist for the ribs & they will be mailing me a packet, they warned me that alot of insurances won't cover osteopathic manipluation, even if my insurance does cover it I can't get in till the end of may. My surgeon will be starting to cut me off of my percocet before that. The ribs hurt as much & very often more then the shoulder, it causes me alot of chest pain, at times even taking 2percocet (which the surgeon said to do) does not get rid of that pain. I am afraid that I will be left to with this pain while waiting to get into another doc. for the ribs. I am super careful with meds & if anything have been told I don't take enough to manage the pain, but I have norco that I did not take, it just did not budge the pain, but I only tried it the one time.
Here is my question at times by evening the pain is not as severe, in order to save on the perocet can I take the Norco on those occasions after taking perc. during the day & how is Norco compared to percocet when it comes to pain control? Is norco stronger then vicodin?I am clueless as to where Norco falls in the pain med. catagory. I am not sure yet if the Norco would surfice in the eveinings but thought I would ask anyway.
I am really worried about being left in this pain, & we all know how long it can take to get into a new doctor. I plan on asking if I should find a PM just in case but in the mean time I can't help but worry. As I stated in the past I could kick myself for not getting in with a PM before, my primary care office told me I was considered a CP patient & I chose to keep seeing a rehab. doc instead of a PM doc. now I regret it.
The surgery was Jan,31 & I woke up this morning feeling like I could throw up between the pain in the shoulder/arm & the ribs, really getting to me. I would rather try to save on the percocet to get by if I am stuck waiting to get into another doctor. Thanks, Sammy

I am so sorry that your still feeling so bad. Believe me I get it.

As for the Norco and Percocet, I think that the percocet is a bit stronger but I am not a pharmacist.

About 8 years ago I had some dental work done and a problem arose afterward that led to the point that I had to have a blister like pouch lanced that was on my gum line. I had been put on Vicodin after the initial dental work, and then the dentist prescribed percocet after he had to lance the blister thing. I took the vicodin in the day time and the percocet at night and eventually I ended up in the ER because I could not eat or drink and my belly was distended.

The ER doc said I should not have taken them together in a 24. I should have only taken one or the other. Needless to say I never did that again.

Anyway Sammy, I really think at this point that your surgeon should refer you back to the PM doc. He will be able to manage your pain and help you through all this.

I am in the same boat as you. The docs say to early to say if my elevated pain is left from surgery or some other problems that I have. Mean while I am let in the same place as you. Meds not helping...living in constant pain that is 7-8-9-10-7-6-9-8-10-8-8-7-10-7-9 just awful...up-down-up-down...and yes makes you want to throw up. I have a rough time just like you. I am going back to my PM on Thursday and I can't wait to see what he will say and do to help me.

Sammy you are a strong woman and you have made it this far. Please hang in there and if you can see if you can be referred back to the PM you saw before. I know this is tough, but God is there holding your hand as well as all of us.

Hang in Sammy!!! :angel:

it really wouldn't hurt you sammy.there are many people who take the norco(10 mgs of hydro with 325 apap vs the only 5 with vicodin so it is a bit stronger than plain 5/500 vicodin)on a regular basis and use percs for BT pain.you could try it anyways and see how it goes.just watch,as usual,the actual tylenol intake.i still really think trying the lido patches for the upper back/scapula pain would be at least worth trying anyways too.the patches work really well for my upper back and the horrid TPs i have under both shoulder blades now.i don't know what i would do without them at this point sammy.they do really help with the intensity of the overall pain.i just think you should at least try them,espescially if your pain meds are not going to be there soon for you to rely on.pre op,i relied solely on the biofreeze and the lido patches to get me thru and never had to increase my narcotic intake at all.just a thought for you hon.anything is always at least worth trying ya know?you just never know how a particular tool will work til you use it on your individual pain process.i wish you luck hon.

i seriously would ask your surgeon about just doing that dang x ray himself or ask your primary.its not that difficult ya know?at least it would give you an idea of what may be going on and not having to wait all those months not knowing.marcia