Discussions that mention vicodin

Back Problems board

Hi Kimberly!

I am almost 3 weeks post 2 level fusion so I'm right there with you! I don't have RA but I do have OA, and some of that has flared with surgery, so I know how you feel!

First, I did want to let you know I woke from surgery with some small abrasions on my face, mostly on my cheeks, but they were very small. Of course, my throat was also quite sore from the tube. I had various bruises here and there on my legs, but hey, I figured it wasn't easy to move me around while I was out cold. No rashes...but that may have been caused by an allergy to one of the meds when you were in the hospital.

I did wind up with a bedsore from my 5 days in the hospital, caused by one particular shift of nurses who were ignoring my requests to find out what was hurting me (they kept saying there was nothing there.) That has finally healed.

And I do understand how you're feeling. My surgery was on June 24th and there are some days I feel not much better then when I woke up in recovery. I'm having terrible nerve pain in the buttocks and upper thighs where my skin feels like it's burned, it hurts so much to touch, and that includes trying to relax in bed. I know this is from a variety of things, including my body reacting to major surgery. Hubby and I are learning that keeping me well powdered helps quite a bit.

My doctor has limited my meds to vicodin because he's concerned about addiction if he adds much more. This is okay with me, but there are times I watch the clock waiting for the next dose.

My incision is completely healed except for a 2 inch section that's being irritated by my brace, so we're back to keeping it disinfected and bandaged and I'm on antibiotics just in case.

I do have a nurse that comes to my home twice per week, so I am assured this is all completely normal, it's just part of the routine when one has a foot long incision down their spine and all those muscles and nerves cut.

And yes Kimberly, there are days I just break down in tears because I want to be pain free for just a little while. I do know how you feel.

But I can say, it seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step back, and as long as my steps forward exceed my steps back I'm ahead of the game.

Btw...consider yourself lucky. I'm not allowed out of the brace at all except for sponge bathing in bed. It's a joy to sleep in...not.

I'm here if you want to talk :D

It was really good to hear from you. Thank you for your response. It's really nice to know I'm not alone. I truly believe that family can't understand because they have never experienced chronic pain. I do feel blessed that I went four years pain free. When it began hurting again last fall, I assumed it was arthritis but by January I had pain radiating down my left leg and knew it was more. Today has been kind of a blue day for me. This surgery was much tougher for some reason. I did have some complications that no one really expected. I was supposed to be there at 6:40 in the morning and was expected to go home that afternoon. My incision was only supposed to be about an inch. I was relieved to find out from the surgeon on the morning of surgery, was planning on exploring the other two levels (this surgery was supposed to be on L,5 - S1). The did find extensive scar tissue and spurring on the next two levels so did clean up those areas too. Additionaly, my dura ripped and I lost a significant amout of spinal fluid during surgery. They actually stitched that up and put some kind of "biologic" on it. I was in the hospital for a total of 5 days. I lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks after surgery because I was constantly nauseated and couldn't bring myself to eat. Sleeping also became nearly impossible. The doctor sent me home with ocycontin for pain and I really hated it. When I did sleep it gave me terrible nightmares and made me feel really out of it. He switched me to a stronger dose of vicodin (APAP 10 - 325) which has been working fairly well. Sleeping is getting easier. Another thing that happened this surgery that was really weird was I when I came out of surgery my forehead was swollen and bright red. It took a couple weeks for that to go away. It was never really painful but now seems to be sensitive to too much sun.
I feel like I've been teetering on the edge of depression. I experienced severe depression between my second and fourth surgery and was hospitalized three time because of it. I REALLY don't want to go down that road again. Not to mention that I don't think my family could go through it again. At one time I was on 5 different types of anti depresants.