Quote from usumxt6:I have a 3 year old who I think Have acid reflx problem. Here is the symptom.
It is worse during feeding time. He coughs while eating and vomits. It seems it comes and goes. He used to vomit at night also, but we took care of that problem by feeding him 2.5 hours before bedtime. It gets worse if he has a cold. I have read that acid reflex could that to a child. He is gaining weight just fine. It breaks my heart to see him struggle to keep his food down. I have taken him to a specialist and he gave us zantac. I am going back to have a barium test done on him. Has anybody experience this and what they have done about. Thanks a lot.
Hi There, Has your child had his tonsils and adenoids checked? The symptoms you describe do indeed sound like GERD's, however when you stated that your child will often cough and vomit while eating made me a bit suspicious of his tonsils. I have seen many children who has enlarged tonsils which create a problem during feeding. The tonsils (if enlarged) will narrow the openning in the throat and can cause a child to cough and sometimes gag while trying to swallow solid foods causing them to vomit. If the tonsils havent been checked then that would be something worth investigating.
Also, does your child tend to have "cold symptoms" per se more than the average child? When a small child has GERD it is not uncommon when they reflux (especially during sleep) for the child to aspirate the contents into their lungs, which would cause cold like symptoms, cough, and even pneaumonia.
It most definately is a good idea to have the Barrium swallow test done but pending the outcome of that test i would also most consider having a test done called a PH Probe. The PH Probe is a 24 hour test that can be done on an out patient basis. How this is done (if you are not familiar with this test) is there is small box that reads out digital numbers on it which records internally all activity, connected to the box is a very long thin wire with a very small probe on the end of the wire. This probe is then inserted through the nasal and passes through the epiglotis and down the esophagus. It doesnt sound very nice but it is virtually painless and once the probe is inserted and in place your child wont really even notice it or be bothered by it. This is a highly accurate test to prove if reflux is present and how much as well as how often he is refluxing in a 24 hour period. Once reflux is established and the severity it can be treated more aggresively with medication.
If the reflux cannot be controlled by medication and is severe enough there is a surgical procedure called a Fundoplication that can be done laparoscopically with 5 little incisions in the abdomen. This is where the surgeon will pull the top of the stomache up and tighten it around the end esophagus to prevent any stomache contents from being able to reflux up. It is a very common procedure, not only for children but there are many adults who often elect to have this procedure done when they are no longer able to manage their reflux with medication.
Hope this info was helpful and i wish your little boy the best!