It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Lisa on November 09, 2000 at 08:24:40:

In Reply to: What to do regarding doc saying I need surgery for gall stones posted by Hugh on November 08, 2000 at 14:15:52:

You will be able to get pain meds after surgery - commonly Lortab or Darvocet is what I see used (I'm a nurse). Most gallbladders surgeries these days are laparascopic and day surgery, but with your weight they may need to do an open procedure, which will mean more days in the hospital.

Also, especially with your weight, you need to be up and about as soon as possible, even if it is uncomfortable. You are at high risk for blood clots in your leg, which can to your lungs and can kill you.

: I'm a 34 year old man who weighs 360lbs. I've been having sever pain in my left side for about a week whenever I
: sneeze or caugh. The pain is EXTREME and lasts only for about a minute. The doc did a ultrasound and said I have aalot of tiny gall stones and I need to have the gall bladder removed ASAP.
: My question is: What should I expect? Will I be given pain medication after surgery (i have a LOW LOW tolerance for any kind of pain) or will I just be told to take asprin? I'm a little concerned about the pain aspect for that reason. Any recomendations from anyone on a good pain med?
: I have had tylonel #3 for a bad sunburn several years ago and it was like taking candy. The doc then gave me Tylonel #4 and that worked better but for only about an hour.
: I am going in for the surgery in 4 days, so any help would be great!

: Thanks to all,

: Scared in Maryland.

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!