It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Re: Arterial Fibulation

Re: Arterial Fibulation

[ Back to Messages ]


Posted by John on August 14, 2000 at 14:36:31:

In Reply to: Re: Arterial Fibulation posted by Sue on May 08, 2000 at 00:05:26:

: : : I am a 50 year old, male, with a family history of heart problems. My father died at the age of 48 of a heart attack. My brother died at the age of 45 from complications from heart problems and I've had 2 uncles die from heart attacks.

: : : Recently I experienced a dramatic change in my heart rate. I used to jog about 2 miles a day and did this for 20 years. I have not jogged for 3 years or so. My normal heart rate is between 55 and 60. A few days ago I went into arterial fibulation and all of a sudden my heart rate went to around 160 for two days. I entered the hospital and they gave me medication to try to revert my heart rate back to the old rate. On the second day and using the 4th. drug, it finally reverted back! What a relief.

: : : I have an appointment with a heart doctor to get put on medication that will help to control this new problem in my life. I understand lots of people live very normal lives with this same kind of problem.

: : : What I would like to find out is does anyone have some ideas where this problem comes from? Is there anyone in this forum that has a similar problem and if so, how do you live with it?

: : : I know I will get some answers from my doctor, but I just wanted to get a head start.

: : : Thanks, Jim Skees
: : : Elizabethtown, Kentucky

: : Hi Jim,
: : I suffer with a-fib as well. I am a 30 yr old female. I have been having it off and on for over 10 years now. My doctors told me to take an aspirin a day and deal with it basically. It is so scary that their advice caused me to seek out a cardiologist. She told me that my heart is healthy and there isn't a lot of risk with a-fib except blood clots which the aspirin helps with. I normally would have an episode at least once a week that would last from a few hours to a few days. Oh how many times I've been to the ER!! Well, it seems that I have high blood pressure which no doctor had ever said anything about. I also was told from a nutritionist that my potassium, magnesium, copper, iron and calcium were on the low to very low side. So, I was put on atenolol for the blood pressure and starting taking a daily dose of several different vitamin and minerals supplements. I also increased my water intake considerably and cut-out caffeine, sugar, candy .... etc. I haven't had another occurence of a-fib(knock on wood) since my body adjusted to everything, it has been over 5 months now. Once you get on your medication you should feel better. Know this though, it will be tough adjusting to the medicine. They make you weak, depressed, tired, etc. but the end result is worth it for most people. I'm sure you, as many others do, will live a long healthy life with this!! =)
: : Take Care,
: : Autumn

: Hi Jim,
: I am a 44 year old female. I had my one and only experience with atrial fibrilation about 7 months ago. I was awakened in the middle of the night with my heart racing. My husband took me to the ER and I was admitted to the ICU and given medication to cause my rhythm to convert back to normal sinus rhythm. It took about 6 hours to convert. I was terrified. Of course, I was referred to a cardiologist and had an echocardiogram done. It revealed that I had high blood pressure and it had been present for some time. The high blood pressure is what caused the a-fib according to the cardiologist. I was put on atenelol and 1 asprin daily. I also want to note that when I was being checked out in the ER,
: my potassium levels were slightly low.(3.2) The doctor on duty said that the potassium wasn't low enough to bring on the a-fib, however, I think that it DID have something to do with it. I try to eat a banana or drink orange juice daily for the potassium benefits and I have eliminated ALL caffiene from my diet. I do have an occasional flutter now and then, but no other episodes like the one that sent me running to the ER. It is terribly scary and it took me a month or more to "calm down" enough to finally realize that I wasn't going to die from it. So far, so good.
: Good luck to you.

i just had this type of thing happen to me sat 8/12/2000 called 911 was admitted to the hospital that day and put on drugs to covert to normal sinus rhythm ,that was at 3 in the afternoon. The next morning at 7:00 am i finally converted back and boy was i glad for that the other method of conversion is shock and i did not want that to happen. Still freaked out about the whole ordeal and read some encouraging things in here but still scared .

[email protected]

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!