It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Re: Question on husbands blood test, for Thanbey.

Re: Question on husbands blood test, for Thanbey.

[ Back to Messages ]


Posted by cd on October 13, 2000 at 20:52:08:

In Reply to: Re: Question on husbands blood test, for Thanbey. posted by thanbey on October 04, 2000 at 14:07:32:

My husband & I just got back from his Dr. visit with the specialist. He told us that my husband has fibro chirosis, also called it compensate chirosis. Could you tell me a little more about this. He said that if my husband did not quit drinking now, he would only have about 5 more years to live. He will not do any biop. until he has stopped drinking for 6 mos. Then he will start treatment. What happens if he does stop drinking and does not get the treatment. And what level is he at now with his liver? I really appreciate your honesty and being there to help answer my questions. I think this was a wake up call for my husband. He is going to AA tomorrow.

: : My husband just got his blood test back and is being sent to a specialist. He is a heavy drinker, straight vodka. Has Hep.C and these are the results of the blood test. Sgot 1500, Sgpt 102, GGT 546. What can you tell me about these test. I do know that they are very high. What can we expect at the Specialist office visit. Even thou he knows he has Hep C he still drinks. Our marriage is falling apart, his mood swing is unbearable. Even when he is not drinking. He tells me hardly anything from the first dr. visit. Should I go with him to the specialist?
: : Thanks, CD

: Dear C,

: I don't know what I could add to the post to al (below) regarding this issue.

: Your husband must stop drinking to live and have a relationship with you. Only he is going to be able to save himself. His lab reports indicate that his liver is very stressed, probably from the alcohol.

: He will need a biopsy to determine whether there is any damage to the liver and if so, how much. Ultimately treatment for HCV for him will be wasted as he is working against its success if he continues to drink.

: As for you, I encourage you to call al-anon and talk to someone or seek the help of a professional in the area of alcoholism and substance abuse.

: IMy heart goes out to you both. But it is he who must want to change. You cannot make him.

: thanbey


Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!