It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by LpLittleA on November 04, 2000 at 19:47:48:

In Reply to: Triglicerides 2900 Cholesterol 407 Advice? posted by Bonnie on November 04, 2000 at 16:59:42:

: My husband has very high levels. Medication doesn't help. We have tried alternative medication, like herbs and enzymes. Still not significant difference. Doctors tell us that he isn't at risk for heart attack because teh fat particals are light and fluffy. Sounds like bull to me.

The best drug for Triglycerides over 2000 is a drug in the fibrate class. This would be Lopid (gemfibrozil) or Tricor (Fenofibrate). The problems with fibrates is that the RAISE LDL by up to 45%. The higher the Triglyceride, the higher the LDL increase will be. You didn't mention LDL level or if your husband has coronary artery disease (heart attack or bypass). If your husband has a history of gall bladder disease, he can't take a fibrate. An alternative would be Niaspan (extended release niacin). It will decrease your husband's trigs by 30% (fibrate will decrease trygs by 40%). Your husband will probably end up on a combination of both.
You husband's doctor should have told him to cut way back on carbohydrates and alcohol because they convert into triglygerides. Your doc should do a fasting plasma glucose test to see if your husband has type 2 diabetes.
It is imiportant to get the trigs down because your husband has so much fat in his blood that his red blood cells can not find any oxygen. When your husband bruises, the bruises are not black or blue, but instead are yellow or white because he has so much triglicerides in his blood. Does he also have white or yellow bumps around his eyes and elbows? Reducing his trigs may get rid of those.

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!