It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Clomid and Humegon for IUI

Clomid and Humegon for IUI

[ Back to Messages ]


Posted by Kelli on June 04, 2000 at 23:57:10:

Hi, I am new to this message board, but I have read through many messages, and I am hoping someone can help with some personal experiences. I am turning 30 this week, and my husband and I have been trying for 3 1/2 years to have a baby. I had previously been on birth control for 8 years, but the docs all say that could not be the cause of my infertility. I started out with my regular GYN, who put me on Clomid for about 6 months, but never monitored me to see if I ovulated or did ultrasounds to check for cysts or anything, he just said "take this days 5-9 and if it doesn't work this month do it again next month. I expect you to be pregnant within 3 months." I ended up having PCOD, probably brought on by the clomid. I had to have a hysteroscopy, and he did an ovarian drilling, relatively new procedure where they drill holes into the ovaries to rupture the cysts. After the surgery we tried with more clomid, then I posted a message to a similar board, and was told that my doc should have been monitoring me monthly, and trying different dosages etc... and that I should go to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist because my doc sounded to them like a quack. I did go to the R.E., about 2 1/2 hours from my house. They wouldn't just trust that the clomid hadn't worked, so we had to start all over again with clomid, changing the doses and all. At least the R.E. did ultrasounds every month. We did the post-coital tests and all (hubby has low end of normal sperm count, and many moved around, just did not go forward), but I still had problems with the PCOD, which caused the treatment to be slowed down considerably, because they had to wait for months for the cysts to go away on their own. One of them was the size of a lemon! Just when they decided it was time to go on to the injectibles, because the clomid had not worked, the doctor left the practice! I had nowhere else to go, there are only 3 in my state, and the others were much farther away. We decided to hold off for a while since the treatment had been a very emotional thing for me when we went through all of that, and still were not pregnant. I eventually had to be referred to a GYN for a problem I had because of the PCOD. I had not had a period for 6 months, and when it did start it lasted for 35 days, extremely heavy. I ended up having to have an emergency D&C, and the doc said I had 6 months worth of period to get out of my system, since it had just layered itself inside the uterus and never shed month after month. This new doc is not a specialist, but I think he is more helpful than the first doc or the R.E. He put me on Glucophage, even though I am not a diabetic, and said there is a new study linking anovulatory women to their glucose levels. Since starting the Glucophage 7 months ago, I have had a period every month, something I had not experienced since going off the pill 3 1/2 years ago. This doc would not just skip the clomid and go on to something else because he though combining it with the glucophage would work. It hasn't. Last week hubby and I went in for a conference with him to discuss the infertility. He has decided that the clomid alone is just not working (DUH!) and he wants to move on to the injectibles. The risks are huge cysts caused by the drugs, which may lead to hospitalization, among other things such as physical strain on my body, emotional stress, and the financial burden. We are willing to take that risk right now, but the procedure for IUI is very expensive, about $1,000.00 per month, the costliest part being the drug (Humegon or Repronex, he hasn't decided which yet.) He says they are about $70.00 per vial and I will need 8 vials per month. There will also be the clomid for days 3-7 then the injectibles for days 8-12. We also have to have the ultrasound, the sperm wash, and the IUI itself. I am not sure what to expect of this procedure, and I would love the chance to talk to someone via email who has had this procedure done, especially if it was successful. Anybody who can offer some advice or info, I would be grateful to hear from. The doc says if this is not successful after 6 months, our next step is Invitro, at $10,000.00 per cycle. We can't even afford to do this IUI at $1,000.00, so this is our last hope. Our only consideration if this doesn't work is adoption. Please write me back and let me know I am not alone in my frustration and emotional agony here. As I said, anyone with advice will be appreciated. Thanks a bunch for listening to my long-windedness.
Kelli [email protected]

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!