It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Re: 4 year old-Kidney Reflux?

Re: 4 year old-Kidney Reflux?

[ Back to Messages ]


Posted by Lisa on August 01, 2000 at 14:13:41:

In Reply to: Re: 4 year old-Kidney Reflux? posted by Shelley on July 27, 2000 at 13:06:56:

: This message is to Lisa - My daughter is scheduled for reimplantation next week and I am terrified. She is 6 years old and is a grade II. She hasn't had too many infections (that we've caught in time), but she still has the reflux and will not grow out of it. Can you offer any advice on how I can keep her calm or anything you would have done differently with regards to the surgery. Did your daughter have an epideral in place for a few days after surgery? How long was your hospital stay? The doctor is telling me 3-7 days with 2-6 weeks recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

: Shelley

This is for Shelley. As for any advice on keeping her calm, I don't really have any. I just kept reassuring my daughter that she would not be able to feel anything because she would be asleep. This is kind of a hard concept to understand at that age. I also reassured her that she would never be alone. I was able to stay with her as they were giving her the anesthesia and we were allowed to come back to see her as soon as surgery was over. We also told her that the doctors and nurses would be with her during the surgery. I was also allowed to stay at the hospital with her and sleep in her room at night. That helped both of us. I was at least as upset as she was. She didn't have an epidural but something very similar. It was called a caudal block. It was a wonderful thing. It is inserted through the back like an epidural after she was asleep. Hers lasted for 24 hours. It was nice because she didn't need as much anesthesia during the surgery because she was already numb from the waist down. That allowed her to wake up more quickly afterward. It also kept her from feeling any real pain until the next morning. She did have to have a catheter in for about two days. It wasn't too bad the first day but it really started to irritate her after that. It made it difficult for her to sit up because of the pressure it caused. Once it was taken out, she was a lot more comfortable. She was only in the hospital for about 2 1/2 days. Her surgery was at 7:30 a.m. on Thurs. June 29 and she came home on Sat. July 1 at about 12:30 p.m. By the Monday following that, she was up walking around and playing. She still moved a little slowly, but she progressed rapidly after that. I think coming home helped her more than anything, since she had spent most of Friday crying to come home. She had her post-op checkup on July 18 and was released back to normal activity. We go for an ultrasound in three months and if that shows that the surgery was successful, she can finally stop her medication. The only things I can think of that we did that helped my daughter deal with this was going shopping for a new nightgown, robe, and slippers. On Friday after the surgery, she was able to get a sponge bath and change into her own clothes. That was a little bit of an emotional boost, at least for a little while. I also bought a few new games, storybooks, and a little bag for her to pack her baby dolls clothes and toys in so that the baby could "have surgery" too. (She was allowed to keep her doll with her in the operating room.) The hospital she was in was an excellent one and we were fortunate to have good nurses throughout our stay. They were very good when they drew blood (this had to be done twice after the surgery) and in removing the catheter, IV, etc. The IV was also in until Saturday afternoon. One other requirement - they have to be able to urinate on their own after the catheter is removed. There was a little irritation but once I told my daughter that she had to do that before the doctor got there or she couldn't go home, it was not a problem. An odd side effect that she experienced - her hands hurt. The doctors said it was from where the IV and other medications were injected that caused the stiffness and soreness. She actually complained about that for a longer time than she did the incision in her stomach.
Your daughter will probably not be able to swim or take a bath (showers only) for a couple of weeks. Bike riding and most physical acitivies are also out until the post-op visit. Car rides had to be limited because of the pressure of the seat belt across the incision. We used a blanket under the belt until it had healed. All in all I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly everything went. Several people had told me I would be amazed by how quickly she recovered but I didn't believe them. Now I do. It was not nearly as bad as I, or she, thought it would be. And if it cures the reflux, it has all been worth if. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.


Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!