It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Bruce on September 20, 2000 at 17:41:55:

In Reply to: Re: restless legs posted by Lory on September 20, 2000 at 09:26:30:

: : : : My husband has restless legs. Is there anything to relieve this.
: : : Restless legs are often a co-symptom with fibromyalgia, which I also have. The medical treatment varies with each individual just like with PD. Mine is flexeril 10 mg, and Paxil 10 mg (now Remeron 30mg to help with the handwriting) at night before sleep. It helps the muscles relax and the anti-depressant acts, in this case, as an SRI --or prevents the pain from reaching the brain. Restless legs don't cause pain, but the same effect is reached. Also, and this goes with PD, too, exercise greatly helps -- lots of walking, swimming, etc. Good luck -- by the way, my rheumatologist prescribed the medication. Lory

: : Lory,

: : Thanks for your help on restless legs. I'm anxious to see if I can get the medication. But how does he exercise if his walking and balance is so poor? This message board is great. I have learned more from it than the doctors. Thanks again. Dorothy
: Dorothy - glad I could be of some little service. If your husbands walking and balance are poor, you might see if your Dr. would write out an order for Physical Therapy. These folks are great, have an extensive knowledge of PD, and can, I'm sure, find some exercise that your husband will be able to do. Also, in this message board, there are articles of exercises to do daily -- stretching, etc, that are very good. Does your husband have a walker? One lady on this board mentions that now she has so much more independence, since she accepted the walker. Good luck, stay in touch. Lory

Lory's idea about using a walker is a great idea. I wished I had thought of it sooner, because even though my legs are weaker I walk the length of my long driveway and back to the house. I can now walk the distance without stopping even though my walker had a small accident and is missing one leg. There is a walker on the market that my doctor's nurse called the "cadillac" of the walkers. Medicare will pay for most of it and I will have to pay $152. It was designed specifically for neurological patients and is called the U step. I think I saw a picture of it on the NPF web site. Bruce

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!