It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Lisa on September 28, 2000 at 08:53:50:

In Reply to: Re: MOVEMENT DISORDER SPECIALIST posted by Carole on September 28, 2000 at 02:32:47:

A Movement Disorder Specialist is also a Neurologist but has additional training in the specifics of Movement Disorders (there are several) of which one is Parkinson's Disease. Since it can sometimes be difficult to identify the subtle differences in the various movement disorders, a Movement disorders specalist would be able to identify these differences and provide a more accurate diagnosis and thus a better medication protocol, and other imformation helpful to living with the disease. In the case of PD, as you probably already know, there are several variations depending on one's symptoms, eg. Parkinson's Plus Syndrome, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Shy Dager. These are hard to diagnose correctly and so this additional training is helpful. However, there are also some 'General' Neurologists who have a very good handle on such diseases. So the question you need to ask yourself is, are your symptoms being currently managed by your current doctor? Are you happy with the way your doctor is handling your care? Is he knowledgeable and answers questions to your satisfaction? If you are still unsure about your disease and diagnosis, then there is nothing wrong in getting a Second Opinion or even a third opinion. A great site that I highly recommend to you is I have found this site to be extremely useful, particularly the Ask the Doctor forum where questions are posed to Dr. Leiberman who is the director of the Nat'l Parkinson's Foundation. He always answers each question himself and promptly. So I hope you can check it out sometime. Good Luck!

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!